Monday, August 18, 2008

A letter from a former GeneCo employee discovered...

My name is Brian Terkel and just recently, years after the mysterious death of my grandfather, I found the following letter amongst many in a locked box hidden in his home.

"My name is Dr Steven Terkel and I am a chemical engineer and employee of the nefarious corporate entity known as GeneCo.

While holding the position of Research and Development project leader in their early years I was part of the group who were responsible for discovering the basis of what would eventually become the narcotic Zydrate. Our studies were scrutinized and controlled heavily by the government as well with explicit instructions that their involvement was of the utmost secrecy and we were all ordered to sign strict confidentiality clauses that of which imprisonment was a clear punishment for disregarding.

During that time the first wave of NOS was devastating the globe. GeneCo had started labeling their genetically engineered organs with a barcoding system that would enable them to be tracked, in case recovery of their "property" became an issue. During my studies another scientist was put at the helm of our endeavors and I noticed our tests were becoming more and more geared to areas which were against my moral and ethical beliefs. I took it upon myself to monitor and record the data we were collecting and to my horror I discovered that the drug we had created would over time stimulate the nerve system in the same manner replicating the symptoms of NOS in organs not "barcoded" by GeneCo, meaning that with continued use, Zydrate would facilitate the need for further organ transplants. Shocked and disgusted my direction was clear, I had to expose the truth at all costs.

I must have drawn more attention to myself than I thought, I noticed people around me were cautious about speaking to me, I began to receive mysterious calls with no one on the other end of the line. Then I found I was being followed and in an effort to protect myself, Ive left this note in a place where hopefully someday the truth can get out in case its too late for me. They have eyes everywhere, and now Im starting to believe the whispers on the streets, that there are indeed men being trained to repossess organs from the living, and maybe even more...

I hope I'm not too late, that something can be done, the Largos have placed themselves higher than God and it must not be allowed to continue."

The letter is dated March 3rd, 2037. I thought GeneCo was a decent organization, that their technology saved humanity. Now I see them as the monstrous murderers that they really are.

No comments: